On Monday, Strickland granted a motion filed by Casey’s attorneys asking that he rescue himself. Casey’s defense team argued that comments the judge made to a blogger showed he was prejudiced against Anthony.
Orange County Chief Judge Belvin Perry has taken over the high-profile case. He has been Chief Judge for nearly 13 years and has sat on the bench in central Florida for 21 years.
Perry is known as a no-nonsense, brass tacks kind of judge. This differs greatly from Strickland, who is viewed as a more laid-back, congenial jurist.
In ten years of hearing criminal cases, including murder trials, only one of Perry’s ruling have been overturned by a higher court.
Chief Judge Belvin Perry, Jr.
- 2001-2010 Chief Judge, Ninth Judicial Circuit
- 1999-2001 Circuit Judge, Orange County Civil
- 1995-1999 Chief Judge, Ninth Judicial Circuit
- 1992-1995 Circuit Judge, Orange County Criminal
- 1991 Administrative Circuit Judge, Osceola County
- 1989-1990 Circuit Judge, Osceola County
- Juris Doctor: Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Texas Southern University (1977)
- Masters of Education Degree: Tuskegee University (1974)
- Bachelor of Science Degree, History: Tuskegee University (1972)
- Chair, Trial Court Budget Commission
- Member, Texas Bar Association
- Member, Orange County Bar Association
- Member, The Florida Bar